Excel yourself as a PADI Pro and join the rebreather revolution....
At Utila Dive Centre, we are the only PADI Career Dive Center in the Americas, to offer diver and Instructor level training on the PADI closed circuit rebreather programs. Get an edge on your professional career and specialize in teaching divers the PADI closed circuit rebreather program, and enhance your employment potential, excitement in teaching, and earnings. The PADI CCR Instructor course (recreational level) is available for all PADI Instructors who meet the following prerequisites:
- Be a renewed PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor (or a PADI Instructor with a higher rating).
- Be a PADI Enriched Air Instructor.
- Be a PADI Deep Diver Specialty Instructor
- Be certified as a PADI Advanced Rebreather Diver on the specific Type R rebreather for which the candidate is qualifying, or have a qualifying certification from another training organization. Instructors meeting this requirement with a qualifying certification from other training organizations must review the PADI Rebreather Diver and Advanced Rebreather Diver Manual and complete the Knowledge Reviews prior to the Rebreather Instructor Training course.
- Have a minimum of 150 logged dives, of which at least 30 dives and 30 hours on the specific Type R rebreather for which the instructor is qualifying as a PADI Rebreather Instructor (diving packages can be offered at Utila Dive Centre to help meet this requirement).
- Medical clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician within the previous 12 months.
- The philosophy and goals
- Programs that PADI Rebreather Instructors are qualified to teach
- Areas of development/evaluation
- Candidate Materials
- Build on knowledge and skills as PADI Instructors and rebreather divers.
- Develop rebreather Instructor knowledge and skill.
- Familiarize candidates with rebreather courses.
During the PADI rebreather Instructor course, the Instructor will teach students the motor skills and attitude to diving safely with a recreational rebreather, within recreational limits. As closed circuit rebreather diving differs significantly from open-circuit recreational diving, so will the skills that divers need to learn to dive rebreathers safely. Consequently the problems that divers encounter when learning to dive on a rebreather will differ significantly, so during your rebreather Instructor course, there will be several sessions conducted where common, and not so common, rebreather problems are presented and how the Instructor should respond and handle these, and what the appropriate diver response should be during their drills.
- Discover rebreather
- Open Water rebreather diver
- Advanced rebreather diver
- Rebreather refresher
- Rebreather qualifier (crossovers to additional units)
- Knowledge Development - 2 teaching presentations with 3.5 on at least 1
- Dive theory
- Practical application - 2 sessions, demonstrate briefing, coaching and debriefing the practical application skills – must demonstrate use of a checklist during assembly and refer to manufacturers materials as a reference (1 session for crossover)
- Rebreather Instructor Waterskills Assessment - 19 rebreather skills, no less than 3 on any skill, and 4 on at least 50% of skills
- Confined Water presentation 1 and 2, with at least one presentation earning a 3.4
- Open Water presentation 1 and 2, with at least one presentation earning a 3.4
- Course audit – 1 OW CCR or 1 Adv CCR course, or simulated dives 1, 3 and 5
The Instructor candidate will also attend presentations giving a general overview of PADI rebreather courses, how to teach specific PADI rebreather courses and marketing PADI rebreather courses. The PADI closed Circuit Rebreather Instructor course takes 3 days and an extra day for the simulated audit dives if needed in lieu of course assist. For rebreather Instructors from another agency the PADI Rebreather Instructor crossover course takes 1 1/2 days, plus an extra day if simulated audit dives are needed in lieu of course assist (note previous teaching experience also meets this requirement).
All instructor candidates must have (available from Utila Dive Centre), in their possession, a personal, current set of the following materials for study with and use during the course and for reference afterward:
- PADI Rebreather Diver and Advanced Rebreather Diver Instructor Guide in a language the candidate understands.
- All the materials required for Rebreather Diver and Advanced Rebreather Diver students, as listed in the PADI Rebreather Instructor Guide, unless the materials are not available in a language understood by the candidate.
- PADI Rebreather Diver and PADI Advanced Rebreather Diver Exams and answer sheets.
2015 Rebreather diver and Instructor level scheduling
2016 Rebreather diver and Instructor level scheduling
Course Time: 3-4 days
Please reserve your spot with UDC by paying your $100 USD deposit online for recreational courses. Deposits for professional, rebreather and tec courses please contact us. This partial payment will ensure your room and diving will be reserved for you when you arrive. There is a 4% (US credit cards) or 6% (non US credit cards) added to your deposit fee to cover PayPal charges.
Click here to enquire
For packages and some special offers, full payment must be completed prior to the start of the course.
Pro Course Packages
|From / To||Divemaster||IDC / EFR Inst.||
IDC / EFRI /
|IDC / EFRI / MSDT / IDC Staff|
6 ½ months
8 ½ - 9 months
|Advanced Open Water||