MCA Recognised Credentials in Maritime
This program incorporates everything that a dive boat operator would be required to know from the moment the boat left the dock until its safe return to port and is an amazing compliment to our PADI Divemaster and Instructor courses, and the course while dive boat specific, contains the necessary knowledge for operators to obtain various certificates of competency (COCs) issued by IYT Worldwide on behalf of the British Maritime and Coast guard Agency (MCA) and the International Maritime Organization (IMO). The MCA boating qualifications are the most internationally recognized qualifications in the world and have, over the past ten years become the de facto world standards.
Upon completion of the IYT Dive Boat Mate course and individual would have earned MCA certificates in:
- VHF radio operator (MCA compliant/recognized)
- Powerboat/RIB Master (MCA compliant/recognized)
- Yacht Deck Crew (MCA compliant/recognized)
- IYT Dive Boat Mate certification
- PADI DiveBoat Operations Specialist (Distinctive)
- A component of basic 'General Engineering Knowledge' (GEK) will also be completed, though this is not a MCA certificate, it is STCW compliant.
The IYT/PADI Dive Boat Mate, also known in the industry as the 'Boat Operations Specialist', is offered each month at Utila Dive Centre and for candidates on our PADI Divemaster course, or also as a stand alone program. The majority of our candidates qualify to take the IYT Dive boat mate program during the same time as their Divemaster course, and we encourage and highly recommend e-learning prior to arriving on Utila. Candidates will learn a very broad range of maritime and nautical theory and motor skills including driving boats, which serve as a foundation to gain further experience and sea time under the direct supervision of a licensed Captain and work towards earning a Coxswain/Captains license.
Capabilities: Crew on board a dive vessel. Captain a dive vessel under the supervision of a Diveboat Coxswain or higher certified captain.
- General engineering overview
- VHF radio operations
- IYT powerboat coastal skipper/ ICC <10m Power (4-5 sessions of driving boats under direct supervision, including skills circuit)
- Diveboat safety & operations (DOS) PADI approved with topics covering:
- Dive crew safety & competency
- Dive & snorkeling safety and competency
- Organization and risk management procedures in planning dive charters
- Special equipment for divers required on board
- Site selection and overview of relationship between surface and underwater conditions
- Dive site briefings
- Drift diving/ live pick up considerations
- Supervision - roles, responsibilities and procedures
- Diver accounting procedures and safety logs
- Dive vessel emergency and rescue procedures
- On-board gas blending management and storage
The IYT/PADI Diveboat Mate is the ideal program for the entry level mariner and PADI Divemaster and Instructor. This certification allows the holder to crew on board a dive vessel and gain sea time and training as captain under the supervision of a Diveboat Coxswain or higher, and we integrate this training with our PADI Divemaster course (and for already certified Instructors during our MSDT internships) and this can be completed during the 4 week program. All candidates complete the IYT DiveBoat mate e-learning prior to starting the course, and receive additional class sessions at Utila Dive Centre and workshops, and during the course practical boat driving exercises are conducted under the direct supervision of our Captains, including mooring/docking. This program is valuable for anyone wishing to work on dive vessels, super yachts, live-aboards and the student who completes this certification will also receive the MCA (British Maritime & Coastguard association) small Powerboat/RIB Master which certifies them to run tenders globally.
Utila Dive Centre and Utila are the perfect location for this training, with 6 licensed vessels for carrying passengers and dive crew, our own on-site dock in a protected harbor for practicing maneuvers, marine park and mooring posts, and calm conditions with daily boat trips scheduled.
Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for scheduling, costs and enrollment, Contact us for more information and we encourage early enrollment as we have very limited spaces on these programs with just 4 places each month for the IYT Dive Boat Mate course. E-learning is to be completed in advance and you can download these practical boat handling exercises to be conducted during the program, and really advance your dive career.
Course Time: 3-4 weeks
Prerequisites: PADI Rescue Diver (or equivalent)
Please reserve your spot with UDC by paying your $100 USD deposit online for recreational courses and $400 for professional, rebreather and tec courses. This partial payment will ensure your room and diving will be reserved for you when you arrive. There is a 4% (US credit cards) or 6% (non US credit cards) added to your deposit fee to cover PayPal charges.
Click here to inquire
For packages and some special offers, full payment must be completed prior to the start of the course.
Save over $260 with our IDC/EFR/MSDT package and we include extra the PADI O2 Instructor course and IAHD Adaptive Teaching Instructor Course!
Go from Divemaster to Instructor (with EFR Instructor)
We are offering 20% off
For any of the above packages there is the option to add on 'Beautiful Oceans Science Instructor'